Day 2 - Thoughts from Zubiri

My first communal meal of the Camino at Roncesvalles last night was not precisely what I was expecting. I was thinking lots of alcohol, sharing life stories and general bon amis. Instead, I found myself with four Koreans, two Taiwanese and a bloke from Hong Kong. After a round of introductions, I became a bit of a wall flower to be honest. During a lull in their conversations however, one of the Koreans turned to me and asked, “Is UK any good?” I considered providing the most obvious answer, which is of course; “like the curate's egg, good in parts”, but thought better of it. “Very good” I assured him, “really very, very good”… There followed a long silence, the sense of disbelief was palpable with everyone (including me) staring wistfully into their glasses of water. “Soggy chip anyone?” I pleaded, but this olive branch was lost as the Mandarin and Korean cacophony had already resumed.

I can’t tell you how cool it is to be awoken by the sound of Gregorian chant from the monks across the courtyard at Matins, I’m sure I was a fat Abbott in a previous life. Breakfast however rather let the side down - cold, hard toast and the day before yesterday’s individually wrapped cheese slice.

A lot of down hill today, narrow paths through heavily wooded countryside, beautiful. Long chat with Grace, a Korean grandmother and marathon runner, and with an ex Royal Marine who was with the UN in South Sudan – someone who actually understood me!

Got into the hostel in Zubiri 5 minutes before the heavens opened. It will be interesting to see who I end up with at dinner this evening, bunch of Americans knowing my luck. Pamplona tomorrow.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 - Thoughts from Pamplona

Day 1 - Thoughts from Roncesvalles

Thoughts from St. Jean Pied de Port