Day 3 - Thoughts from Pamplona

The Albergue El Palo De Avellano in Zubiri was excellent and very full. Eight beds in our room, multinational snoring was well moderated, and I avoided a top bunk, which is always something to be grateful for. 

Dinner was an improvement on yesterday, a Danish ski instructor, a young American Civil Engineer, an Australian homeopath, a couple of Canadian retirees and a selection of inscrutable Swiss and Chinese. The good (and not entirely surprising) news is that everyone hates, I mean really hates Trump!

Another 20km today, good to get some of these shorter ones in early to help the body acclimatise and so far, so good. 

Today’s companion was a Canadian chap; apparently, he still holds the sales record for some kind of industrial widget and remains bitter and twisted about his divorce 20 years ago, verging on the misogynistic, I’d say.

The endless YouTube Camino advice videos you can get should include one on the etiquette for getting rid of exceptionally dull pilgrims who latch onto you. As “I turn off here” is not really an option on the Camino, I had to settle for “I’ve something in my shoe” and proceeded to take an exceedingly long time to find it.


I arrived in Pamplona through the old city gates at about lunch time, requisite beer and then went to sit in the back of the cathedral, a marvellous 15th century edifice, full of smells and bells it being a Sunday.


Staying in the posh Cathedral Hotel tonight, own bathroom and clean sheets, my weekly treat!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 - Thoughts from Roncesvalles

Thoughts from St. Jean Pied de Port