Thoughts from St. Jean Pied de Port
in the queue at the pilgrim’s office in St. Jean Pied de Port to get my ‘Pilgrim Passport’, the document that makes me an official pilgrim – and clearly, given how long I’ve been standing here, many appear to be seeking the answer to life, the universe and everything, not surprising given the state of the world.
Left Jack and Liv’s place in London at about 06:30 and the Journey was all pretty smooth, apart from the gentlemen of passport control at Biarritz who had taken it upon themselves to induct everyone into the new Schengen electronic visa system – absolute chaos.
The Hostel (with the rather suboptimal name of ‘plan B’) seems fine, clean and tidy. Sharing with a French guy who doesn’t speak English or Spanish and a Mexican who doesn’t speak French or English so should be a peaceful evening!
You know it feels strange standing here with all these people, all nationalities, all ages, and all doing the Camino for their own important reasons I’m sure. Life has been so hectic for me in the years and months leading up to my retirement that I haven’t really stopped to think about why I find myself here, other than an idea that it’s all a bit of an adventure which neatly draws a line under my working past. But standing here with these people, I feel myself slowing down, I don’t have to hurry or worry about anyone else. I’m wonderfully anonymous, alone with my thoughts. A sort of inner calmness descends where I can quietly think about my life, my ‘people’ and my future. Is this the magic of the Camino of which I have heard tell, I wonder?
Forecast for tomorrow is rain and lots of it!
Comments
Post a Comment