Day 19 - Mansilla de las Mulas to León
Short hop today into León, just 19Km, which is probably a good thing after a night on the oldest and most lumpy mattress in Christendom. My hostel here is within the old city walls but as I can’t get in until two, I think a spot of lunch and a wander around the cathedral is probably in order.
Why I wonder, do I feel such a connection with these places? Whilst I’m not a religious man in the conventional sense, these places do transport me. To a simpler age perhaps, an age of different values. I can sit for hours in here and just let the calm descend. This place was built mainly in the 13th century and is an extraordinary example of Gothic architecture, similar to the great cathedrals of France. Famous for its magnificent stained-glass windows, it was an important religious and cultural symbol of the Kingdom of León and a key landmark for pilgrims travelling the Camino.
I wandered down to the hostel for 14:00 and found a Frenchman trying to get in. After a certain amount of swearing and kicking we gained entry. Seems clean and tidy. All electronic and key codes, not a soul in sight. Having had my shortest day today, I have my longest tomorrow so early start.
Comments
Post a Comment