Day 12 - Santovenia de Oca to Burgos
Santovenia de Oca is an enchanting, small village, slightly off the main path with one basic but very well-run hostel. There were about eight of us in the dormitory and I had an excellent meal with three of them, two Canadian women and an Australian chap, originally from Zimbabwe and a real advocate for all things African.
At a table on the other side of the restaurant were another two of our room mates, an Italian couple with and age difference of about 30 years. The three of us enjoyed speculating if they were father and daughter or whether there was a sugar daddy thing going on. If the latter, my heart goes out to the young lady as I was later to discover that the volume of this chap’s snoring must be nothing short of a medical miracle.
Well into week two and as I amble along, I find myself falling into a quiet contemplation of aspects of my life, some I can view with pleasure and pride, others engender a certain sense of disappointment. There are many people you meet on the path who are happy to share their life experiences, perhaps because of the ‘safe space’ that characterises ‘Pilgrim’ relationships. The Camino seems to attract thoughtful, questioning individuals who are good to talk to and helpfully, who you’ll probably never see again!
Short and rather dull section today with the path running along a main road past fields and factories to Burgos, a big industrial town. Hostel doesn’t open until four, so I think I’ll go and get a haircut.
Comments
Post a Comment